A flight simulator is a device, usually a combined physical and virtual environment, that artificially simulates airplane flight and various aspects of the flight conditions. This includes representation of the physical laws that govern how aircraft fly, their reaction to applications of their controls and other airplane controlling systems. Not less important, the flight simulator helps explain, how the aircraft reacts to external environmental variables such as air density in relation to elevation, thermal turbulences, cloud density, etc.
Flight simulation was adopted very early in flying history. A variety of other reasons may explain the development of flight simulators, the main focus though was flight training for pilots, without danger to their lives. Flying is simply much to dangerous for a “learning by doing” approach.
Research and development of airplane designs began to rely more and more on computer aided design technologies. This is explained by the fact, that flying means nothing else than a physical body traveling controlled through a gas, in our case Air. With the vast computing power at disposition, is not (no more) difficult to establish a framework of physical laws to define and design a physical body with flying abilities. It makes a lot of sense to adopt such established framework to a flight simulator, which finally lets you test and refine characteristics and control handling qualities.
Flight Simulator Explained: Special Purpose Simulator Information
Flight Simulator development specialized into different fields of professional training. Be it for civil aviation or military flight missions. Here are some examples:
- Basic Instrument Training Device (BITD) – A very simple practice device primarily focused on generic flight training using basic controls and instruments
- Flight and Navigation Procedures Trainer (FNPT) – Basic flight training but based on a complex flight model, which is able to represent different navigation systems and focuses to simulate a comprehensive array of environmental and weather properties.
- Cockpit Procedures Trainer (CPT) – Used primarily to familiarize pilots with their future working environment. The CPT will simulate situations, that require certain procedures to be followed. The system tests the pilots ability to work through checklists, like before starting check all relevant instruments, as you might know them from movies. There are many procedures, which are tested over and over again, especially for all thinkable emergencies. The aerodynamic representation is of minor importance for CPT.
- Aviation Training Device (ATD) – Used for learning of general flight concepts and procedures. A series of airplanes can be simulated on an ATD.
- More sophisticated sytems include: Integrated Procedures Trainer (IPT), Flight Training Device (FTD), Full flight simulator (FFS) and for military purposes the Full Mission Simulator (FMS). Information about highly professional flight simulator systems.
Flight Simulator Explained: Amateur Flight Simulator Information
After the Millenium, when PC graphics made big progress, the flight simulator began its breakthrough in home entertainment powered by ever more realistic graphics. The 9-11 events in 2001 even forced Microsoft to delay the release of the 2002 version of its hallmark Microsoft Flight Simulator and to delete the World Trade Center from its New York scenery.
Steady development of the PC, MAC and Video Games opened a lot of new entertaining aspects to Flight Simulator Games: Players can engage in engineering and design, test and optimize their own passenger aircraft or fighter jet. Today One can choose between more than 100 airplanes, learn to fly them using accurate procedures, modify them to special purpose aircraft. One can create and run a Virtual Airline Company, a Virtual Airport or Virtual Air Traffic Control Company.
Latest developments connect your home entertainment flight simulator to the internet. You can team up with peers to fly military or civil missions while chatting with them. Virtual Role Games emerge, where pilots, air traffic controllers and other roles take part in an online flying simulation, which provides a near real-world aviation experience. From several networks available, we encourage you to check out the most popular ones being VATSIM and IVAO.
Don’t just buy any flight simulation game! Start with the free downloads on our site! Then enhance your experience!
Hints for first time Flight Simulator Buyers:
Flight simulator games can provide fun for a long time. Develop the basic skills. Then explore the many ways to enjoy your simulator. Here you get an overview of the many ways to enjoy flight simulation. It is really worth, that you take a little time to find the most appealing choices.
Bookmark our page! From here you can explore the market. Use our links to quality information and quality flight simulator games. We review information and shopping sites for you. Understand the Market and take informed decisions. Make sure you don’t get trapped by a Scam or Cheaters!
Buyer’s Checklist – What you should check before buying
- Modular product architecture: Standard and Full/Deluxe Version, addons and extensions.
- Ongoing development providing you with Updates for program, security, scenery, planes, missions and more.
- Wide variety of scenery elements, missions, airplanes, jets & helicopters, modding capabilities.
- Multiplayer capability, if you like to play online with your friends as well.
- If you are unsure, prefer a free trial or free download!
- Check what kind of license you are buying, some games install on as many computers you wish.
- Buy from a Site you trust, like ours here working with known Online Retailers and Distributors.
- Secure & Easy Payment System: Major Credit Cards & PayPal, these solutions include maximum protection for online buyers.
- If available, go for a Download Version, no delivery – less costs! After payment – download and start the Fun!
- 100% Money Back Guarantee no Questions asked.
Our recommendations strictly adhere to these guidelines!
Flight Simulator Explained: Popular, Free Flight Simulator Information
Popular free flight simulators for home computers include:
- FlightGear, is a free and open source flight simulator, running on PC and MAC, Linux. FlightGear has been copied by many vendors: Pro Flight Simulator, Flight Simulator Plus, Flight Pro Sim among others
- Microsoft Flight Simulator Series – its latest installment (Microsoft Flight Simulator X) comprises a Free Demo Version for download
- FSX Helicopters free download
- Orbiter, a freeware space flight simulator for download
Flight Simulator Explained page updated Dec. 2011
Enter Coupon code “cents4u994″ save $ 9.94 or pass the Coupon as a gift. Your Flight Simulator site.